[Towertalk] balun measurements

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] balun measurements
From: ccc@space.mit.edu (Chuck Counselman)
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 13:10:11 -0500
Eric K3NA wrote:
>Where would I find measurements for baluns at various frequencies
>when attached to a mismatched load?....

The questions you asked are so broad that it'd take a big textbook to
answer them, and AFAIK the book you would need does not exist.

I think that your only hope is to post a very specific question, and
even then the only way to get an answer may be to make measurements
yourself with a vector impedance bridge/meter such as an Autek or
(shudder) MFJ or perhaps a Palomar noise bridge.

If you describe the specific problem you are trying to solve, then
other Towertalk subscribers with similar situations are likely
describe the solutions that they have adopted, and still other
subscribers will comment of the merits of these,....

There is no simple and affordable solution to the general problem.

-Chuck, W1HIS, who burned out _three_ commercially manufactured,
supposedly "high-power," baluns within the last three years, each
time transmitting less than 1.5 kW, once on 7 MHz and twice on 14
MHz, but each time with SWR equal to about 6:1.  Two of them were
killed by overheating due to excessive current; the other arced over
due to excessive voltage; all three burned up and were total losses,
except that I salvaged the ferrite.

Yes, I should have known better.  Actually, I did know better....