[Towertalk] Co-ax Traps

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Co-ax Traps
From: ccc@space.mit.edu (Chuck Counselman)
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 13:37:41 -0400
At 7:33 PM +0200 9/25/02, Maurizio Panicara wrote:
>  > I must disagree.  It is essential!  The trap is a parallel-resonant,
>>  nearly lumped, LC circuit.  The C stems mainly from the capacitance
>>  between the center conductor and the shield/braid of the coax.
>
>I do not understand your answer.
>Do You mean that a parallel resonant circuit used as a trap is not
>reversible ?
>Why ?

The original question was: "I noticed in the ARRL antenna hand book
that the braid is the input and the center conductor is the output.
Is this important, and why?"

I take "input" and "output" to refer to the two terminals of the
trap.  The answer to the question must be yes.  If both terminal
connections were made to the center-conductor, or if both terminal
connections were made to the braid/shield, then the trap would not
work.

Of the two terminals of the trap, one must be on the center conductor
and the other must be on the braid/shield.

-Chuck, W1HIS