[TowerTalk] Re: Antenna Height and Signal Strength

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Antenna Height and Signal Strength
From: w5hvv@aeneas.net (Roderick M. Fitz-Randolph)
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 09:34:53 -0600
>> Subject:        Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna Peformance
>>
>> > This probably explains why at times my 5 watt station
>> > beats out one of the local stations running 100 watts.
>> > Both stations have 3 elem tri-banders. Mine at 64 feet, and
>> > his at 48 feet.
>> >
>> > VE6NAO/QRP
>>
>> Well, off the top of my head, you are claiming greater than  12.75db over
>> the other station.
>>
>> You need to get with your buddy and see what's wrong with his antenna. A
>> beam it isn't.
>>
>> 73
>>
>> Ed
>>
>> Well, not necessarily, Ed. If you consider that the 100 watt station
>> is just above 1/4 wave above ground and perhaps less than 1/4
>> wave above the reflective ground, whereas the 5 watter is almost
>> 1/2 wave above ground (20 meters, of course), the additive signal
>> at a lower angle could certainly make this a reality. I would say
>> that could happen on 50% of the paths.
>> de KL7HF
>>

>  No way on 50 % of the paths. I ran argonaut 509 at 110 feet , confirmed 315
>on 3 watts.
>but a gud tri bander at 70 feet with 100 watts DXing  was always  nearly 2 s
>units better than I was. 16 feet difference is in no way going to give you
>that kind of gain.  Location  being the same the
>48 foot tower has problems.  End of my 2 cents worth.........
>
>73  Brad  KZ5Q
The above remarks and others pertinent to the same subject reminds me of the
time that, immediately after putting up a 4-el quad in Tucson, AZ, I was
comparing my signal strength with that of Smitty, WA7CSN, who was also in
Tucson and running a Hornet Tribander.  I contacted a TI2 in Costa Rica and
got a signal strength report of 40 over 9 compared to Smitty's S9 report.
Smitty's antenna was at 60 feet; my quad was at 40 feet.  Smitty was very
unhappy..... but he shouldn't have been.

His increased height was letting his lower angle of radiation skip right over
the top of the Costa Rican station whereas my 40 foot height was just right
for the conditions of the moment and allowed maximum signal to pounce upon
the Costa Rican.  Subsequent contacts with other stations in New Zealand and
Australia gave a much better comparison of the gain characteristic of Smitty's
and my antennas..... after I had raised mine to 60 feet!

I agree completely with KL7HF.  Antenna height, under the right propagation
conditions can make an incredible difference.  Anyone who has played with
antenna height at a particular time and particular distance by raising or
lowering his crank-up tower can certainly confirm this.

Rod, N5HV
w5hvv@aeneas.net