[TowerTalk] Wireless bridges

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Wireless bridges
From: zettel@libby.org (Steve Zettel)
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 1997 16:18:36 -0700
I've forwarded along the request of the System Administrator of Lincoln
County's non-profit, community-based Internet service provider, the
Kootenet. I do volunteer tech-assist work for them (primarily for the
Macintosh users) and Tony knows I am a ham and thus should have some
expertise (!) in this area. I am going to go through the ARRL Antenna Book
and some other texts I have access to and attempt to give him some help,
but most ham references speak to Fresnel zone and pseudo-Brewster angles in
terms of HF antennas. My EHF/SHF experience is military in nature and we
generally are unconcerned with the Fresnel zone as we are using SATCOM vice
terrestrial-based links (though that is changing, too, with the latest
generation of battlefield sensors that communicate via ground-based
mnicrowave links). At any rate, I am sure there are some folks out there
that are much more qualified that I am to give guidance.

Any help you can give -- primarily pointers to a source of information
(preferrably web-based) would be greatly appreciated.

For a good look at what some forward-looking people have achieved in a
rural community to "fill in the pothole on the local information
superhighway", browse through the Kootenet's homepage at:

http://www.libby.org

Thanks and 73,

Steve Zettel  KJ7CH
Libby, MT

--- begin forwarded text

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 1997 16:34:33 -0600 (MDT)
From: "Tony Pajas, KooteNet Systems Administrator" <sysadmin@libby.org>
To: Steve Zettel <zettel@libby.org>
Subject: Wireless bridges

Hi Steve,

I'm specing-out some wireless Ethernet bridges to connect the Hospital,
schools, some businesses, etc to KooteNet.  These are spread-spectrum
~2.4 GH radio-line-of-sight bridges that have thru-puts of about 1.5 Mbps
(quoted rate is 2.0 Mbps).

Was wondering if you know anything about the Freznel zone (how to
determine it) or have access to Freznel zone charts (couldn't find 'um on
the web)?

Thanks, tp

--- end forwarded text