[TowerTalk] Ground Rod Under Tower Base

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Ground Rod Under Tower Base
From: dick@libelle.com (Dick Flanagan W6OLD)
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 1999 21:38:08 -0800
>From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
>[...]
>The book goes on to diagram a tower base with a pigtail connecting the
>tower itself to the outermost rebar "box," and that "box" is connected
>another pigtail that exits the tower base below ground level for
>connection
>to a radial system.

In consultation with two Polyphaser application engineers, that is
exactly how my tower system is grounded.

I have a 2/0 wire bonded to the tower leg and leading to the rebar cage
in the concrete foundation.  There are eight other 2/0 wires connected
to the rebar cage and leading out of the foundation below ground level
to the ground field radials.

The stories of concrete tower foundations exploding from lightning
strikes is approaching urban legend status.

73, Dick

--
Dick Flanagan W6OLD CFII Minden, Nevada DM09db (South of Reno)
Visit http://www.qsl.net/cvrc/