[TowerTalk] ChromeMoly Mast Specs

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] ChromeMoly Mast Specs
From: dick@libelle.com (Dick Flanagan)
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 1997 18:44:51 -0800
Well, at last my CM mast arrived (just in time for the first winter snow
that will probably postpone installation until spring).

I have never purchased one of these wonderous products before and it came
with a signed and sealed Material Test Report that tells me all sorts of
wonderful things, perhaps 5% of which I understand.

Perhaps there is a bored materials engineer out there that can deciper some
of this for me:

Heat Number:  956741
Grade:        4130
Dimensions:   2" OD, 1.25" ID (Wall 0.375")
ASTM Spec:    A519
Chemical Analysis:
   C:  0.29
  Mn:  0.44
   P:  0.015
   S:  0.003
  Si:  0.24
  Cu:  0.21
  Ni:  0.12
  Cr:  0.97
  Mo:  0.018
  Al:  0.026
  Ca:  0.002
Yield Strength: (PSI)    125,700
Tensile Strength: (PSI)  143,000
Elongation: % in 2"      32.5
ROA:                     57.3
Hardness: (BHN)          321

What say you, engineers?  Is this the wonderful stuff that multiple
Towertalk threads have been devoted to?!  :)

73, Dick

--
Dick Flanagan W6OLD CFII Minden, Nevada DM09 (South of Reno)
Visit http://www.qsl.net/w7di/