[TowerTalk] Re: US Tower Motor Winch in Winter

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: US Tower Motor Winch in Winter
From: dick@libelle.com (Dick Flanagan)
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1999 18:42:36 -0800
At 8:31 AM -0800 on 12/3/99, I wrote:

>This morning for the first time in the almost two years I've had my US
>Tower HDX572-MDPL installed, I was unable to raise the tower up because of
>what appeared to be excessively cold temperatures.  When I turned on the
>motorized winch, everything moved VERY slowly for about ten seconds before
>the circuit breaker feeding the motor tripped.

I also sent my query to US Tower and received the following response:

"Our engineering staff recommends a synthetic gear oil.  We have a
paper on the gear box with their recommendations, please email your
orig email along with your mailing address and we'll get it sent to
you.  Thanks."

Needless to say, I will be responding and will report back here with
what I learn.

Thanks to all who responded.  Most acknowledged that I was not alone in
experiencing this behavior.

73, Dick

--
Dick Flanagan W6OLD CFII Minden, Nevada DM09db (South of Reno)
Visit http://www.cvrc.net/