[TowerTalk] Lightning [RE]

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Lightning [RE]
From: dick@libelle.com (Dick Flanagan)
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 1998 20:27:25 -0700
At 8:09 PM -0700 6/3/98, Ron Youvan wrote:

>  We broadcasters have been using them for 15 or more years.  Where we were
>loosing 3 or 4 LNA's in a earth station dish, every summer (in St. Pete,
>Florida) EVERY YEAR FOR OVER 10 YEARS.  After mounting 3 fuzzy brushes each
>about 10" in diameter, coming out of a 1/2" stem, along the top edge, about
>6' apart, (up about 30') 3 or 4 years ago, we have NOT lost one LNA since
>then.

Hi, Ron.

Do you know if you stopped loosing LNAs because lightning strikes were
prevented or if because those strikes had their curent channeled through
the "fuzzy brushes" and away from the LNAs?

>  If the object, such as a broadcast tower can get enough electrons (fast
>enough, they do not travel at the speed of light!*) into it's mass and the
>mass is sufficient, the resultant strike will not cause a huge ground current
>flow

oooooe, my brain hurts. . . .

73, Dick

--
Dick Flanagan W6OLD CFII Minden, Nevada DM09db (South of Reno)
Visit http://www.qsl.net/cvrc/