Re: [TowerTalk] N Connectors

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] N Connectors
From: Ian White GM3SEK <gm3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 08:45:54 +0000

>Steve Katz wrote:
>> I agree a mil standard type N is easier...no soldering the shield!  Can
>> solder the center pin with a 40W pencil iron.

The original MIL pattern N has two serious design problems when
connectors are assembled "in the field" without jigs and tooling.

One is the very weak cable retention, because the cable is anchored only
by the braid... which leads Roger (K8RI) to write:
>Those are the ones I dump Vinyl Ester Resin , or epoxy into.  Never had
>one pull off since I started doing that.

The other design error is that there's nothing to prevent the center pin
being assembled too long or too short. Even with factory-perfect
assembly, this problem can "creep" up on us after the cable has been
installed.

Modern N connectors are MUCH better. These are the ones that have:

* A " _|  |_ " shaped ferrule that slides underneath the braid to make a
high quality 360deg contact

* A rubber pressure sleeve that really does clamp the cable

* Positive location of the center pin

* No critical cutting dimensions: one simple flush cut, and strip
everything down to the center conductor. Length of center conductor
isn't critical either - the connector is its own accurate assembly jig.

Very similar pressure sleeve connectors are available for UHF as well,
so there's no more need for heavy soldering.

The modern connectors N and UHF connectors are more expensive than the
old MIL pattern, but it's money well spent.

--

73 from Ian GM3SEK
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek