VHFcontesting

[VHFcontesting] Good Buddy QSOs

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Good Buddy QSOs
From: kharker@cs.utexas.edu (Kenneth E. Harker)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:45 2003
On Wed, Apr 30, 2003 at 01:14:06PM -0700, John Geiger wrote:
> > I wonder if, in the VHF contests, how things would
> > look if we eliminate
> > unique band-mode QSOs?  For instance, if WW1WWW/R
> > makes one and only one
> > 902 MHz QSO with NN1NNN, that QSO is removed from
> > both stations' logs.
>
> THis idea has always bothered me, whether it is in a
> VHF or HF contest.  How can you say that this is not a
> valid contact?  If both callsigns were exchanged, and
> reports given and received, how can it be considered
> an invalid QSO.  How about eliminating those QSOs
> where all information is not exchanged-where the DX
> station signs once every 10 QSOs or so, and everybody
> gets his call from the DX cluster?

The question is not so much whether or not the QSO is invalid,
but whether or not it should be credited for the contest.
If I'm working a contest and some old crank calls in and
gives me a callsign, his age, his current medical ailment,
and an observation on the current political landscape, but
fails to tell me his grid square, that QSO is a valid QSO,
but not one that counts for contest credit.

> I fail to see in the contest rules where any station
> must provide an equal chance to work all other
> stations in the contest.  SUppose I can only get on
> from 3-5 am due to work obligations.  Am I still a
> legal station since those contesters who like to go to
> bed at 1 and wake up at 5:30 have no shot at working
> me?

I think you are missing the point.

Even if you get on the air for only two hours, during those
two hours do you work what you can hear?  Do you answer those
who call you?  Or do you intentionally benefit one competitive
station at the expense of another?

Let's consider the following scenario: there are two competitive
stations a few grids away from you, and you get on for an hour.
If one of those two competitive stations fails to work you because
they were asleep, on another band, your directional beams never
happened to be pointed at each other at the same time, they're
busy explaining themselves to the nice highway patrol officer, etc.,
that is an entirely different scenario than if you turn off your
rig while they are calling you because you only really got on to
work that other station anyway.

Kenneth E. Harker      "Vox Clamantis in Deserto"      kharker@cs.utexas.edu
University of Texas at Austin                   Amateur Radio Callsign: WM5R
Department of the Computer Sciences          Central Texas DX & Contest Club
Taylor Hall TAY 2.124                         Maintainer of Linux on Laptops