VHFcontesting

[VHFcontesting] the endless debate about declining activity

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] the endless debate about declining activity
From: kb1grs-vhfcontesting@vms.gratuitous.org (Joel N. Weber II)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:41 2003
A couple of things:

1) I didn't join this reflector because I wanted to spend infinite
   amounts of time deleting discussion of percieved decline in
   activity.  I joined because I was interested in learning technical
   information that would help me to participate in the process of
   increasing activity.  It's especially tiring when people bring up
   things like distance scoring that were discussed several months
   ago; I believe the archives are on the web, and it would be worth
   checking them to see if you really have something new to say before
   bringing up something that's already been discussed to death.  If

   I'm going to spend time in front of a computer thinking about VHF
   contesting, my time would be much better spent playing with antenna
   modeling.

   Also, y'all might want to think about getting on the air and making
   some noise, rather than getting on the Internet and making some
   noise.  (My QTH precludes useful weak signal VHF operating, which
   is one of the reasons I don't operate between contests.  Do all of
   y'all have the same excuse as me, though?)

2) I sent the ARRL a bunch of detailed comments like six months ago,
   that supposedly the ad-hoc committee was going to look at.  I
   haven't seen any results from this committee.  It's not yet clear
   whether that means we should all just have more patience waiting
   for the committee to do what it's going to do, or if this means the
   League isn't really paying attention to what people have to say to
   them.

   I'm also sort of curious who's on the committee, and what
   experience they have with VHF contesting.  The apparently closed
   process that we're not hearing anything about fails to increase my
   level of respect for the League.

   Of course, it may also be that there's been a lack of anyone
   actually volunteering to be on the committee.  I don't know any
   details of the situation with this particular ad-hoc committee,
   other than that it seems to exist but seems to not do much of
   anything (and I think nobody has posted here to say that they're on
   the committee, which seems kind of odd); but I'm aware of a case in
   the city of Somerville, MA where I live where a lot of us managed
   to send email to each other and to one of the alderman about a
   particular parking regulation that irked us, but most of us didn't
   bother to show up for the hearing when it was scheduled (or submit
   testimony), and this turns out to not be a very effective political
   process.