VHFcontesting

[VHFcontesting] 6 and 2 meter antenna question

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] 6 and 2 meter antenna question
From: tree@kkn.net (Tree)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:49 2003
On Tue, May 06, 2003 at 11:21:02AM -0400, Robert Cumming wrote:

> One good thing to look at is the Quads made by Cubex.  The Orlando Amateur
> Radio Club just bought a King Bee III Triband Quad for 6M, 2M and 70Cm on
> the same boom for use by our VHF+ station at Field Day.  It has 8 els on 2m
> and 70 CM and 4 on 6M, all on an 8" boom.  Details on their website at,
> http://www.cubex.com/dbuhf.htm.

I would be concerned about 8 element quads.

I love quads.  My first real antenna for 20-10 was a 2 element Cubex quad.
It worked great.  I have used many wire quads on 40 meters and they also work
great.

However, I had a friend with a 6 element quad and it never really worked right
(it was on a 60 foot boom for 20 meters).

After I saw some modeling for them, I stated to see why.  The two element quad
is a great antenna, but as you add more elements, it becomes less clear that
you are really getting much advantage.

Maybe someone smarter than me can explain why.

Tree N6TR
tree@kkn.net