VHFcontesting

[VHFcontesting] COntest announcements in QST

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] COntest announcements in QST
From: kb1grs-vhfcontesting@vms.gratuitous.org (Joel N. Weber II)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:29 2003
> They figure we are smart enough to go to the web to
> read contest announcements, but not smart enough to
> figure out why I should enter a contest.

Being able to getting something off the web is a specific skill.
Realizing why you should enter a contest is a very different sort of
thing, and I know that if my only impression of VHF contesting had
come from reading the rules once, or a half dozen times, that I would
not be interested in VHF contesting today.

> Witness the "Doctor is in"
> column.  I hope these are not real questions sent in
> by readers.  If most of them are, the FCC definitely
> need to think about toughening the licensing
> requirements.

I disagree about tightening the licensing requirements.  I have a
friend who has helped me with the mechanical aspects of constructing
antennas, who is much more knowlegeable about the mechanical stuff
than me, but has little knowlege of the electrical stuff.  He doesn't
currently have a license, but maybe someday he will.  It takes both
electrical and mechanical skills to put together an effective station,
and I don't think one should necessarily be infinitely more highly
valued than the other.

Also, if people learn something about electronics in the course of
their ham radio experiences, I think that's probably a good thing,
regardless of how much they knew when they started being interested in
ham radio.

Furthurmore, requiring people to pass a hard theoretical test before
giving them pratical experience would be stupid.  I know such a thing
would exclude me, since I tend to only be able to memorize things if I
actually use them in solving problems that I find interesting.