VHFcontesting

[VHFcontesting] Get A Grip!

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Get A Grip!
From: mph@swcp.com (Mike Hasselbeck)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:21 2003
> However I was told by the ARRL contest sevtion that it would be considered
> the same as packet assistance during a contest and would be disqualified
> since others could see my location.

Is the same true of repeaters?  I know you're not allowed to solicit
contacts via repeater, but what about letting the guys back home know
where you are and are OK at least?  Here in the southwest a rover can get
into such remote country that the nearest traffic light is over 100 miles
away - it would be nice to use the (linked) repeaters here to keep in
contact with civilization.  The VHF contesters in my area (DM65) stay
completely off the repeaters because they believe it violates the rules.
So it gets awful lonely out there.  Looking for some clarification on
this...

MPH