VHFcontesting

Re: [VHFcontesting] about the grid circling group

To: kr7o@vhfdx.com, vhfcontesting@contesting.com (VHF contesting list)
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] about the grid circling group
From: k4gun@comcast.net
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 14:01:55 +0000
This is odd.  This subject had been dead for a week and today I have three
different messages on it.  Oh well.

To respond to this one, I'm not sure what your point is.  I don't question
N6TEB's innovation and commitment to roving and contesting.  I'm questioning
why he didn't submit a log.  If he followed the rules and went to all the
effort to put the station together and seemingly had so many contacts, why
wouldn't he allow his log to be compared to everybody else's?

I have no idea what the East coast "mystery captive rovers" is about.  I'm
guessing that's before my time.  Just the description sounds unethical.

I will not hide my opinion of the grid circling packs.    The Unlimited Rover
category was created to give them an opportunity to play without skewing the
results in the rest of the country.  Instead of operating within the spirit of
that rule, this group used the new rules as an opportunity to dominate three
different categories instead of just one.  Its legal and well within the letter
of the rules, but I am of the opinion that it violates the spirit of the rules
competition.

The obvious problem with the new Rover rules is that it allows 100 contacts
with other rovers.  For a station limited to 4 bands like Limited Rover, that's
an absurd number.  Even for a 10 band Classic Rover, there's no way they would
make that many contacts unless they were running together.  I am in favor of
reducing this number down to something realistic like 20 or so.  I also think
this could be solved by indicating that a rover may not have more than 10% of
his contacts with any single other rover.

These are just my opinions.  I have nothing against those guys.  More power to
them, but I really think they are violating the spirit of competition.

Steve K4GUN/R
From: kr7o@vhfdx.com