VHFcontesting

[VHFcontesting] A Brief History of (Captive) Roving

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] A Brief History of (Captive) Roving
From: kb1eaa@berkshire.rr.com (Dave Wendling)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:47 2003

>    NOTE: Not to the exclusion of others...but with a special effort to
make
>          sure the multi-op that Elmered them got taken care of.

Hey Ev,

We are not talking about the vast majority of Rovers here.  I was originally
wondering if there was a way to end manufactured points.  When a group sends
out rovers to work only them or mainly them. They have in fact given
themselves points before the contest even begins.  How they feel good about
winning afterward is something I can't fathom.  There is an easy way to
solve the issue and make sure manufactured points are never counted.  Only
count call signs that show up in other logs.  Or require that folks who play
in the contest send in their log.  If not, their points won't count in other
logs.  Being a rover myself, I don't contest against anyone but rovers.  I
could care less how many points the big multi-stations aquire. Was I
"miffed" when two (2) so called rovers would not give me a point while they
were parked next to me on Mt Wacussetts in MA even after I walked over and
introduced myself. You bet I was "miffed"!! They were too busy waiting for
their turn to make a contact to a big station off to the west.  At least
that's what was going on over the 223.5 FM freq they were using to
coordinate the contacts.After they made their contacts they packed up and
drove off.  Were they really out roving in the contest, you tell me?

> I don't call that captive, I call it gratitude.

I don't call that roving, I call that captive-roving.

KB1EAA, Dave