VHFcontesting

Re: [VHFcontesting] FM Underutilized?

To: "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] FM Underutilized?
From: John Young via VHFcontesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2021 02:21:31 +0000 (UTC)
It was sure fun in Northern VA this weekend on FM, particularly since FM is "an
underutilized" category as some have pointed out.  I may have been the guy Greg
mentioned trying raise activity levels on FM.  I have worked hard at driving up
FM participation and it has paid off handsomely.  Every year there is more and
more activity.  This year it was almost too much activity, if there is such a
thing.

This weekend there were always contacts available except maybe between midnight
and 5 am.   I have 150+ separate FM stations in my log with 360 FM QSO's.
There were far more than 150 hams on the air using FM in our area, I just
couldn't work all of them (capture effect favors the strong).
520 was a mad house with lots of people calling CQ contest.  You could call CQ
contest on 52.525, 146.520, 223.500 or 446.000 and get a reply.   Replies were
instantaneous on 520 and only a slight delay on 446 with 223.500  perhaps
taking a minute and 52.525 being several minutes between replies.  Lots of
QSY's and the QSY piggy backing was constant.  It was not uncommon that when I
or others would try to run the bands quickly with another station, especially
Rovers, anywhere from 3 to 5 others would follow us from band to band to get in
on the action.
Generally when someone got on calling CQ (not CQ Contest) to another station
directly people stood down as per the rules since contesting is secondary but I
wont say it was universal. I did not hear ANY complaints.  There are a few nets
held on 520, especially informal "church nets" on the Sunday morning Church
drive.  They moved to 550 or 580 and then many got on 520 afterwards to take
part in the fun.
Sunday night if a new station showed up they had a half dozen contest stations
all over them instantly.  Much unexpected fun was had by non contesters.
Going back to FM being Underutilized:I have to laugh at the FM is underutilized
comments.  People complain that SSB PH is dead, yet SSB PH has a reach of many
hundreds of miles and you cant be constantly busy working stations yet I and
others can on short range FM?   Ignoring the big dog contest stations, the FM
reach is 40 to 100 miles since the typical FM station worked is a 5W HT or 50W
mobile on an omni IN A NOISY CITY, yet the activity was constant here.  I
suspect that we had more hams on the air per square mile in this region on FM
than anywhere else in the country on any mode.  There is not an activity level
problem on FM around here.
In SoCal, Rochester and Northern Va a few hams make the effort to generate turn
out.  For my part I emailed every ham with an email address on QRZ in a 200
mile radius before the September 2017 contest (about 2,000) asking them to get
on the air on FM.  Every year since then I only email FM stations I have made a
QSO with. I send that email a month before the contest requesting they get on
the air. Over the last 4 years that email list has grown from 150 to 400, it
will be closer to 600 now.  Most get on the air and look forward to the event.
I have made many friends.  Only two hams have asked me to delete them from the
email list.  99% dont submit a log, they just get on the air to have fun.  Logs
submitted does not equal activity level.
FM is regional and a person or a club can make a big difference in activity
levels if you put some effort into it.  Make the effort to generate turn out.
VHF/UHF contesting is FUN even on lowly boring underutilized FM.
73JohnKM4KMU