VHFcontesting

[VHFcontesting] re. W3ZZ's QST contesting article (Tom Carney)

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] re. W3ZZ's QST contesting article (Tom Carney)
From: ezimmerm@erols.com (Eugene Zimmerman)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:38 2003
A very interesting set of numbers George.

But I think we are talking apples and oranges.  No one denies that prior to
the mid 1990's the trendline was up. And even if there were a significant
drop during the last 10 years of the last 25 it would likely be overwhelmed
by the rise in the the first 15 years.  But I wonder what would happen if
you calculated a trend line from 1993 or 1996 to the present. That is the
time period I am talking about when I say activity is down and logs are
down.  I also wonder what equation you are using for the trend line - least
squares fit, regression line of some sort or what?

Your smoothed sunspot numbers are NOT a mirror of decrease in VHF log
submissions. Prior to the mid 90's the trendline was up regardless of
smoothed sunspot number.  Likewise during the past ~10 years even when there
has been superb conditions - big Es on 6 in June or a big tropo opening in
September - log entries are generally down year over year.

So to look at your 6 meter data again using the 'official' ARRL numbers
which I received prior to writing my April column

            TR         ARRL
            #s            #s
> 1995 837        837
> 1996 921        923  This year is high because the E-skip was really
really good.
> 1997 837        837  Es very poor
> 1998 800        865  This year the eskip and tropo were good
> 1999 701        701  Eskip was REALLY bad
> 2000 710        749  Eskip was better for some but overall bad. **Es was
really good in the East**
> 2001 880        680  Es was excellent.
   2002  -            674  Es was good.

Note that really good Es years has little impact on the declining numbers.
Thus 1999 which was the worst Es year in my memory in the last 20 had 701
entries vs 865 in 1998,  749 in 2000 and only 680 in 2001 which was perhaps
the second best Es year after 1996.

Also note that between 50,000 and 100,000 HF/VHF/UHF radios have been sold
since the mid 90's.  They did not exist before that time.  So where are the
contacts from these radios?

If you look at September over the same period the results are even more
distressing

   1995 695
> 1996 717
> 1997 753
> 1998 610
> 1999 606        Superb tropo in the Midwest
> 2000 582
> 2001 553        Best East coast tropo opening since 1979
   2002 540

Regardless of conditions, the trendline is down from 1996 forward.

Finally we all owe you a vote of thanks for those neat graphs of logs vs.
time per contest - the first time I have seen the data graphed in one place.
But even here I think we have a case of apples and oranges.

Peak entry years were 1994 for January, 1996 for June and 1997 for
September.  Since then the trend has been downward. I think most telling is
that the most populous contest - January - began declining before the
sunspot minimum. Given that activity in January is driven by club activity,
that is an ominous sign indeed.  Especially since I think club activity has
been increasing - note that there are TWO big clubs in Texas now, NEWS did
not exist for all intents and purposes in the early 90's, numbers of club
members all throughout the West coast appears to me to be up [is this so?  I
think so].

The Cabrillo robot could tell us if there were more unique calls in a given
contest IF the data existed for a long enough time and IF enought logs were
sent to the robot.  I am afraid we won't be able to do this important
analysis for a few years until we have enough Cabrillo logs. But I agree
wholeheartedly - this is an important piece of data I wish we had.

So we are left with a dilemma.  You are right George that there is no
absolute evidence that activity is really declining.  Perhaps it is
dissatisfaction with the contest structures or some other matter. But
perhaps activity is really declining.  The question is what do we do about
it. Do we wait and see if the numbers in September drop below 200 before we
restructure the contests and look to recruit some new blood or rejuvenate
the old blood?  I don't know the answers.  But I sure wouldn't want to lose
these contests.

73  Gene W3ZZ