VHFcontesting

Re: [VHFcontesting] Brain pickin time

To: "Mike (KA5CVH) Urich" <ka5cvh@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Brain pickin time
From: "Kenneth E. Harker" <kenharker@kenharker.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2007 16:04:12 -0700
On Sat, Nov 03, 2007 at 05:10:44PM -0500, Mike (KA5CVH) Urich wrote:
> On Nov 3, 2007 4:32 PM, Kenneth E. Harker <kenharker@kenharker.com> wrote:
>
> To provide a bit more clairification.  If I were going solo I'd just
> use my FT-736R and not worry about it, end of discussion.
>
> The project would be to build four identical stations, one on 50, one
> on 144 one on 222 and one on 432.  By using identical HF radios the
> only thing that changes is the band its on.
>
> This way an op that was on 50 MHz takes a break and comes back to the
> 222 position, doesn't have to learn a new radio.  Its just like the
> other one he's been using, just on a different band.
>
> Remember I said portable and team.   My thoughts are again, four
> identical (inexpensive) HF radios, with transverters and amps for the
> different bands.

If size is a consideration, you can buy Kenwood TS-50s for ~$400-$450 used.
You might have to use a DEMI AOS-28 or something to interface them to
transverters, though.  I can't think of anyone I know who's used a
TS-50 as an IF radio, but I know HF DXpeditions like them.

I've used a Realistic HTX-100 as an IF radio on 222 MHz before (with the
appropriate K2UA mods).  It is not a high performance receiver - it's
tolerable on a band like 222 MHz where everyone is on one frequency and
almost nothing interesting is going on, but it would be awful on 50 MHz
during an eSkip opening.

The Realistic HTX-10, by the way, was not designed to operate CW at all.
There are mods you can make to sort of do CW, but it's really an SSB-only
rig.  I mention this because the HTX-10 model designation is so similar to
the HTX-100, and it's a decade newer, so it's probably more common on the
used market.  I guess during the next solar peak, if Radio Shack follows
form, they'll release an HTX-1 that only does AM :-)

--
Kenneth E. Harker WM5R
kenharker@kenharker.com