VHFcontesting

[VHFcontesting] N8RA 6M fall sprint

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] N8RA 6M fall sprint
From: "Chet S" <chetsubaccount@snet.net>
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2011 16:19:07 -0400
Band  Mode  QSOs   Pts   Grd
 50   USB    4      4     4
 Total       4      4     4

Score: 16 (wow!)

I had made some changes to my 6M antenna system this fall; I now had a high
yagi and lower loss in the feedlines. I was really looking forward to the
Sprint to test this out for a few hours.

On the Saturday of the Sprint it started snowing about 1 PM, and by dark we
had a foot of heavy wet sticky white stuff on the ground. Worse, it was
sticking to the leaves which were still on the trees. We knew this would
bring down many trees and branches, and indeed the lights were starting to
flicker now and again.

The snow static was S5 on my new antenna, so I was not able to use it at the
start of the sprint. At 23:04 I made my first contact. Ten minutes later,
our power went out right in the middle of a CQ, and stayed out for the next
4 days.  Bummer!

Chet, N8RA

FN31lu, Connecticut