VHFcontesting

[VHFcontesting] 2 Meter Sprint - K1TEO

To: vhf@w6yx.stanford.edu
Subject: [VHFcontesting] 2 Meter Sprint - K1TEO
From: WA2TEO@aol.com
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2004 11:20:27 -0400
Enjoyed getting on for a while in the sprint. Good to dust the cobwebs off the
equipment, hi! Hi winds and cold temps meant lot's of line noise and not
cranking up the tower to be safe. Despite the wx and low antennas, condx didn't
seem too bad as some DX stations were reasonably loud. I operated for an hour
from around 8 till 9 and then came back for 20 minutes during halftime of the
Basketball game. I'm a big UCONN fan so enjoyed the game but also figured it
was probably smarter to avoid operating during the game to keep the neighbors
happy.

Activity seemed decent though I observed some real peaks and valleys. I worked
17 qsos in my first 5 minutes on the band and then only 8 in the next 20
minutes. When I returned at half time of the game I worked 14 qso's in the
first 5 minutes back. Actually I was surprised activity was pretty good at
10:30 local time. I worked 32 stations in that 20 minute stint. Usually Sprint
activity dies out after the first 2 hours or so. Maybe everyone else was on
during halftime too.....hi! Anyway, 92 qsos in 32 grids. Tnx to the ETDXA for
sponsoring and hope to Cu on 222 next week. 73, Jeff K1TEO