VHFcontesting

Re: [VHFcontesting] [VHF] New Rig: Yaesu FT-991

To: "Gedas" <w8bya@mchsi.com>, <les@highnoonfilm.com>, <vhf@w6yx.stanford.edu>, "VHF Contesting Reflector" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] [VHF] New Rig: Yaesu FT-991
From: "John Geiger" <af5cc@fidmail.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2014 14:42:55 -0000
The Icom 9100 is a HF/6m/2m/70cm/23cm based size rig. The small rigs are nice for those of us who go mobile or roving.

73 John AF5CC

----- Original Message ----- From: "Gedas" <w8bya@mchsi.com> To: <les@highnoonfilm.com>; <vhf@w6yx.stanford.edu>; "VHF Contesting Reflector" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Sent: Thursday, August 28, 2014 1:25 PM

I have not looked at the ad or formal specs yet but it's about time someone makes a nice new DC to daylight based rig. I hope they geared it to home use and not portable or mobile use where you have a total of 6 tiny buttons to push to access 9000 sub menus. Give me a large box for home use with real buttons my fat fingers can use ! hi-hi.

If they managed to keep the size big enough to be comfortable to use and not follow the trend of making these new idiotic card deck sized rigs, and if they keep the quality and performance high, then this should become very popular and give the TS-2000 a run for the money.

Gedas, W8BYA

Gallery at http://w8bya.com
Light travels faster than sound....

----- Original Message ----- From: "Les Rayburn" <les@highnoonfilm.com> To: <vhf@w6yx.stanford.edu>; "VHF Contesting Reflector" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Sent: Thursday, August 28, 2014 2:16 AM
Subject: [VHF] New Rig: Yaesu FT-991

Looks like Yaesu will be offering a new HF/VHF/UHF "DC to Daylight" rig
that may be attractive to weak signal operators. The badly translated
press release is listed below, along with a link to a web site where you
can find some photos of the unit taken at the Tokyo Ham Fair.

One of the photos shows a USB connection on the rear of the rig, along
with the more familiar mini-DIN plug for RTTY/DATA. I'd speculate that
you'll be able to operate sound card modes directly from the rig without
the necessity of an interface. That would make the rig attractive for
rovers who might wish to operate WSJT.

Hate to see Icom, Yaesu, and I believe Kenwood all introducing different
"digital" protocols. I was an early adopter of Icom's D-STAR, but found
it lacking in several key areas. I doubt I'd be any more impressed with
C4FMDigital. If manufacturers really hope to transition amateur radio
into digital modes, they're going to need to agree on a standard, and
implement it jointly. Until then, I suspect soundcard based modes will
continue to dominate.

Otherwise, this looks very promising for weak signal types.

http://qrznow.com/yaesu-ft-991/

We are pleased to announce the launch of an exciting new product, The
FT-991 HF/50MHz/VHF/UHF Base Station Transceiver. The Yaesu FT-991
Transceiver is capable of operating SSB, CW, AM, FM, Packet and System
Fusion C4FMDigital. The legendary tradition of Yaesu design is a legacy
of excellence established decades ago, providing quality, stability and
durability. The Yaesu FT-991 is designed for the most competitive
operating situations, with a suite of new features to enhance the
experience. Whether you primarily operate at home, mobile or in the
field, the FT-991 will provide outstanding fundamental performance and
an inviting expansion into a full featured base station.

Please refer below for more information on the features of the new
FT-991. We will release the new FT-991 at the Tokyo HAM FAIR in 2014.

Radio Features;

* 160 Meters through 70 Centimeters b SSB/CW/FM/C4FM Digital/AM/RTTY/PSK
 * 100 Watts (2 Meter / 70 Centimeter: 50 Watts) of Solid Performance
 * 3.5 inch TFT Full-Color Touch Panel Operation for Superior
   Operability and Visibility
 * High Speed Spectrum Scope with ASC (Automatic Spectrum-Scope
   Control) built-in
 * Roofing Filter 3 kHz and 15 kHz
 * High Accuracy TCXO B10.5 ppm and high resolution DDS and PLL local
   oscillator
 * 32-bit High Speed Floating Point IF DSP
 * IF WIDTH and IF SHIFT provides great QRM Rejection
 * CONTOUR, DNR, IF Notch and APF (Audio Peak Filter, CW only)
 * 160 b 6 Meters High Speed Automatic Antenna Tuner included

Les Rayburn, N1LF
121 Mayfair Park
Maylene, AL 35114
EM63nf

6M VUCC #1712
AMSAT #38965
Grid Bandits #222
Southeastern VHF Society
Central States VHF Society Life Member
Six Club #2484

Active on 6 Meters thru 1296, 10GHz & Light
------
Submissions:                    vhf@w6yx.stanford.edu
Human list administrator:       vhf-approval@w6yx.stanford.edu
List rules and information: http://www-w6yx.stanford.edu/vhf/