VHFcontesting

[VHFcontesting] re: W3ZZ's QST Contesting Article

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] re: W3ZZ's QST Contesting Article
From: w2bzy@cfl.rr.com (Robert Cumming)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:38 2003
Geoff et al

While its true that money spent on the upper bands doesn't generate the
large number of contacts that 6M and 2M can it does generate those all
important multipliers.  that is what wins contests.

Here in Florida we don't have the large number of contacts without openings
(either Tropo or ES)  so the only way to increase scores is add
bands.  Since coming to Florida from the high density Northeastern USA area
I have tried to add another band every year or two.

My scores on 2M and 432 from FN30 far exceeded what I average on those
bands here in EL98.  So I added 6M first (CH 2 TVI made it almost
impossible to do 6M in NYC before CATV).  That station started as a Yaseu
FT 620 at 10 watts into a rotatable dipole and evolved into 700W into a 7
element M2 driven by a ICOM 756PRO.

144, 432 and 1296 still use the same transverters, Solid state Brick Amps
and Mast mounted Preamps that I used back in FN30  but the antennas got
better.  13 elements on 2  m became a 17 element M2 and the 23 elements on
432 became a 38 element M2.  On 1296 when my old Mocrowave modules
Transverter died I replaced it with a newer Downeast Microwave unit and a
40W Brick amp.  The antenna is the same 55 element Tonna from FN30.

The next band was 222 with a transverter found at the Miami hamfest with a
dead receive side.  Fix it, too much trouble for the few contacts on
222.  I built a Hamtronics 222 converter and added a TR relay.  A true
Kludge, but it worked.  the antenna was a 10 element M2.  As increased
activity on 222  justified I replaced the transverter/receive converter
with a DEMI transverter and later a TE systems brick  (a Sale item on this
reflector) and replaced the antenna with a 23 element M2.

For 903, I found the antenna first at a Flea Market and by now being hooked
on the fine DEMI products ordered a Transverter from Steve.

For 2304 I was starting to run out of room on the tower for
antennas.  Speaking with Steve at Downeast, He suggested a small "H" frame
putting the 1296 and 2304 antennas on the top two corners and 2M and 903 on
the bottom corners.  the 222 and 432 antennas are mounted on the Vertical
parts of the "H" frame.  Again for 2304 a DEMI transverter.  When I ordered
the 76 element looper for 2304, I also upgraded the 903 antenna to a 47
element looper.

A 15 W Amp has been added to the 2304 lineup and this year a 45 watt unit
for 903.

Now if I can figure where to add a dish for 10 GHz that band is next.

All this spread over 10 years since moving to Central Florida.  BTW I also
work all HF Bands from 160M-10M.

Results,  Usually #1 or 2 in the Forth Florida Section,  Why its the
multipliers that add up.   Why do I do it - its fun.  Do I need to win, not
really.  Why do I contest on VHF+, because its there and each new Grid
Square is an accomplishment.  How did I increase activity here in Florida,
By opening up my station up to newcomers at contest time (get your local
club to buy some burgers and such).  Hams always will come for free
food!  By doing this, you add to the number of stations workable when the
condx are poor.  Talk the locals into using those DC to daylight radios for
something besides HF and FM on 2M and 440.  If they don't have SSB on 2M or
70 CM then work them on FM Simplex.

The main thing is to keep the activity up.  If we don't use the bands we'll
lose them.

Bob Cumming
W2BZY
QRV 160M-13CM (3CM soon)