VHFcontesting

Re: [VHFcontesting] Problem on 50.125

To: Bill Burgess <ve3cru@rac.ca>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Problem on 50.125
From: Alex <kr1st@amsat.org>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 12:51:10 -0500
Hi Bill,

I have two old PCs that plant a carrier right on those frequencies. At times these carriers are pulsating. So far I have not been able to isolate which part of the PC is causing this, but I have a suspicion that the ATA bus is the culprit. Some 20 odd VHF cores inside and outside the PCs, and attempts to seal the PCS did suppress it somewhat (from S9 to S0), but an S0 carrier is still annoying and making the PCs useless (especially with the virtually useless ANF in the FT-897).

Anyway, I thought I'd throw that in there for something to look for in case you determined it's local. However, it does sound like you're dealing with a different source.

73,
--Alex KR1ST
http://www.kr1st.com

Bill Burgess wrote:
Greetings,

A problem transmission has come on the air between 50.125 and 50.126. It consists of a pulsing beeping tone from origin unknown. Please listen for it and get a beam heading so we can source this problem. It just started Wednesday evening.

73,

Bill

Email: ve3cru@rac.ca