VHFcontesting

Re: [VHFcontesting] why 6 and 2 meters only?

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] why 6 and 2 meters only?
From: Tad Danley <tdanley@suddenlink.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 19:45:03 -0500
Dan_K9ZF wrote:
> The way I understand it, one of the key points of this contest is to
> keep things "simple".  Therefore limiting the bands to the basic 2 that
> most people have.

I like the idea because it is easy to attract folks who may not have
experience contesting.  For most parts of the country, 6 and 2 meters
will provide the best chance for 'random' QSOs even with modest
omnidirectional antennas, so even if someone is new to VHF propagation
they have a higher probability of making enough Qs to get them hooked.

I have three ham friends from back east who have promised me they will
be on for the first hour or two to give it a try.  They are somewhat
active on HF and 2 meter FM.  My plan is to get them addicted to the fun
of contesting.  Once that is accomplished there will always be
opportunities for other bands in the September ARRL contest!

Tad Danley, K3TD
EM10dq