VHFcontesting

Re: [VHFcontesting] Where Have All the Multi's Gone?

To: "terry@directivesystems.com" <terry@directivesystems.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Where Have All the Multi's Gone?
From: Ed Kucharski <k3dne@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2021 21:08:49 -0500 (EST)
Fantastic reply to my post, Terry! Thanks. Well said! I admire your passion and
dedication. What you and the K8GP team as well as many other multi's (and
rovers) do, did and achieve(d) are remarkable and appreciated.

I share your feelings in almost all aspects. We can't do anything about the
SK's, aging-out or those who left for family reasons (unless they change). I
took a 12 year semi-break to raise a family. I'm now retired and back - albeit
in EM94 SC as opposed to the middle of the NE corridor in FM19! Like you, I
feel I have at least (I hope and pray) a solid 10 years or more of contesting
left - due to the decline in VHF contest activity recently, I've found myself
doing a lot of HF contesting but my first love is VHF+ contesting.

Even though I agree, I think the only area I'm not completely on-board with is
about your "pretty simple formula". The use of digital when appropriate and
ssb/cw when appropriate only makes sense. You're correct and this isn't rocket
science BUT it is not being done! The crux to the problem is the solution to
the simple formula. How to move stations off of digital and back on ssb/cw
where contacts can be made quickly, efficiently with easier ability to QSY to
UHF/microwaves (I still have an 8 band station waiting to go hilltopping). Use
the digital modes for those QSO's where those modes are actually required to
make the QSO. We talk about these issues a lot in our post contest emails on
the reflector, 3830 posts or in the soapbox results articles but nothing is
really being done to solve them.

My solution is a rule change. Not sure if you've seen my previous posts on my
proposed idea? I got a few positive and negative comments but not nearly as
many comments as I expected. Maybe people either didn't read my posts, maybe
they don't care or they don't agree and didn't comment? There seems to be
plenty complaining about the lack of ssb/cw activity and the inability to QSY
stations to UHF/uwaves however!

My proposal is based on the ARRL 10m contest as an example of a successful
split mode contest (SSB Only, CW Only and Mixed Mode categories). I believe we
can apply a similar model to the big 3 ARRL VHF contests.

"Legacy" (phone/cw Only), “Digital" Only and "Mixed Mode" (phone/cw AND
digital).

All the other categories presently in use in our vhf contests will fall under
these 3 main categories (just like the ARRL 10m contest). Rules and scoring
will not change. I understand rule changes and additional categories are
generally frowned upon (not sure what else to suggest?). My intent is to get
more stations back on ssb, cw and on uhf/microwaves (by making it easier to
move stations to those bands from 6 or 2m via ssb/cw).

Many stations that have been around for 5 years or more (and operated ssb/cw in
the past) will most likely not limit themselves to the Digital Only category
and probably enter in the Mixed Mode (or Legacy) category making more phone/cw
QSO's and splitting their time more towards phone/cw than just digital. In
order for them to do well (win their category, finish in the top 10, win the
division, whatever their goal) they will have to focus more on phone/cw (those
potential QSO's can't be ignored or else they won't be as competitive) and by
doing so, the opportunity to move stations to uhf/microwave bands will become
more prevalent again. Something that isn't being done (much) on digital.

The proposal creates a Legacy category just for the phone/cw ops (and perhaps
multi's and rovers too) who may have little or no interest in digital and a
Digital Only category just for the digital enthusiasts. For those who want both
they may enter in the Mixed Mode category. I see it as a win-win resulting in
increased overall activity (I'm guessing more log submissions is something ARRL
wants?) and more UHF/microwave activity (again something ARRL desires to
protect our spectrum?). I sent a version of this proposal to ARRL last July and
only received a polite reply or two. I've revamped it some and plan on sending
it again.

Best of luck building the new multi station at your new QTH - I saw the pics
on-line. I hope to work you in the upcoming contests - maybe on ssb or cw!

73,
Ed K3DNE