VHFcontesting

Re: [VHFcontesting] Activity hours

To: "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Activity hours
From: RT Clay <rt_clay@bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2024 18:14:29 +0000 (UTC)
 I've only been doing VHF contests for 10 years, but my observations:
Rule changes giving extra points for analog, activity hours, etc: these will
have little or no effect, because to me it seems that many VHF contest
operators simply do not operate to maximize their score. For example: staying
on 50.313 when signals are loud; rovers staying on FT8 when they could run
bands in 2 minutes on SSB; stations wasting 30 minutes to make or attempt one
MS contact, when they could get more mults by working some easy 50/144 grids.
There are just too few people for the many bands and modes. Take a look at some
of the rules for the European VHF contests. There you will find: analog/digital
often are separate contests; often contests are single band; no EME in
terrestrial contests; more contests but shorter duration. All these have the
effect of concentrating the activity.
Setting up a station to quickly switch between FT8/SSB/CW is not easy
technically (mic/audio switching; computer control conflicts wsjtx vs logging
program; ptt switching; voice keyer; spectrum display). It took me a while to
figure out how to do that. I think some guys (not just new operators) do not
have an easy way to switch- they have to unplug/reconnect stuff every time they
switch modes and therefore don't like to do it.

Tor N4OGW EM53

   On Friday, September 20, 2024 at 08:56:36 AM CDT, Gerry Hull
<gerry@w1ve.com> wrote:

 Activity hours are great.  For those that already use them, it's a done
deal.  How much activity does it generate *during a contest*?

The problem is there are a lot of new hams coming on the scene, and all
they see and want to do is FT8.
If we want to continue to enjoy VHF contesting, we are going to have to
educate.  It's not hard.  Most of it can be done by "doing".
If we say weak-signal every 30 minutes, that is going to lead to many more
QSOs than say 6 at 6, 2 at 2, etc.
SSB and CW, Weak-signal modes as we used to call them.

Digital modes were designed for a very specific purpose: VERY weak
signals.  The mode is being completely abused because people are lazy or
uneducated about the mode.
For those people who have been around 20 or 30 years and have massive
investments in weak-signal equipment, don't you want to use it in the way
it was intended?

People will say: If I go on SSB or CW, I won't do well in the contest.
 That's only true if only YOU do it.  We should agree as a contesting
community
that CW and SSB are awesome for VHF, as they always have.  If we do, we can
bring life back, and the excitement back, to VHFContesting.
What strategies we use to bring more activity is up to us.  I again stress
that rule change is probably not the answer.

SSB and CW are alive and well and thriving in HF contesting.  It  can be
the same way on 50MHz and above if we choose to do it.
Digital has a huge place in VHF contesting.  It just can't be all
consuming.  It does not make sense.

73,

Gerry W1VE