VHFcontesting

Re: [VHFcontesting] Question to the group

To: "James Duffey" <jamesduffey@comcast.net>, <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Question to the group
From: "Dave Olean" <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2015 19:39:54 -0000
Hi Duffy
I would have to agree. We need people on the bands. The problem is not the League rules. The problem is activity. There is no reason to get on the VHF bands at this time, so no one gets on the VHF bands. (I am a recent HF convert as a result) I took a look at the ham population and was surprised to find that the sheer number of hams is rather large in states that have almost no VHF or microwave activity. So why is there more activity on VHF in the Philadelphia, NJ, and NY area? I think it was the formation of a few VHF clubs way back in the prehistoric era that pushed that form of activity. They provided a reason to get on those bands, and it has had a long term effect. My observation today is that the levels of activity there are dying off. That is not good. I would suggest that tweaking a few rules in four ARRL contests will not change things for the better. Rules changes have not helped in the recent past. That is just my humble opinion from what my lyin' eyes have shown me.
ACTIVITY= MORE FUN.
A hint... The Microwave Sprint last Spring was won by home station K0VXM in Florida. Why was the winner not from NYC or Philadelphia? You guys figure it out. A few points in a contest for a microwave QSO amounts to nothing as far as the big picture goes. Look elsewhere. Another hint.... I was in Philly for the January Contest and N3NGE has a few Packrat plaques on his wall for winning the yearly "Home Brew" competition. Gee, the Packrats had a home brew competition? What is that all about? Could they be encouraging people to home brew stuff to get on the higher bands? For my part, I am working on something to help build activity in my neck of the woods. To be successful we all need to be a part of the solution.

Dave K1WHS
----- Original Message ----- From: "James Duffey" <jamesduffey@comcast.net>