VHFcontesting

[VHFcontesting] Contest report from Maine

To: VHF Contest Reflector <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Contest report from Maine
From: Bill Olson <callbill@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2019 20:33:02 +0000
Wow, well this was certainly an interesting contest!! I knew I only had a few
hours on Saturday to operate and chances of being able to get on Sunday were
slim (ended up being none).. BUT what the heck I got on pretty much at the
start and since there was e skip started on six. Holy smokes, all of a sudden I
was running stations some times 3-4 per minute (I am running 90 watts and a 4
el beam so I am NOT a big gun!). Stations were single hop mostly to the
mid-south EM and FM a few EN.  After 2 hours I had around 140 QSO's !! This was
all on SSB of course.. I suppose I could have picked and chosen new grids on 6M
FT8 but the Q rate was so high I never even looked there!! The skip shortened
up around 1900Z and I was working a few FN10/FN20/FM29 stations so started
looking for skip on 2M but nothing,.. in fact the band was empty except for a
few locals on FT8.. back to 6.. After 2000Z my time to operate was short and
spotty but I did manage a few more 6M Q's and get this.. 7 QSO's on 2M
  all on FT8 (all stations I would normally work on SSB)!!! (I heard no one on
2M SSB/CW at any time)..

here are the totals:
50  -  160 Q's  55 grids
144 - 7 Q's 6 grids
total operating time 3 hours

I don't even know what to say about that!! BUT, it was fun and thanks to all
who got on..

bill, K1DY in Maine