VHFcontesting

[VHFcontesting] ARRL VHF Test 3 Band Category - long rant better delete!

To: "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <VHFcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] ARRL VHF Test 3 Band Category - long rant better delete!!
From: Terry Price <terry@directivesystems.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2021 15:50:03 -0500
This brings up a long time complaint about the ARRL/CAC or whomever decides
rules and categories.

I've only been VHF contesting since the late 70's, was too busy auto racing
and motocross racing before that but I don't understand the thought process
they go through. I'm sure it's a "good old boys club" much like our
Congress, but they do things that completely defy logic.

There should a LP and HP for all the categories like the 3 band and the
limited multiop. It won't hurt participation it would help. Instead of
folks thinking it's useless to compete against the big boys and go watch a
football game, they might stick it out knowing they have a real chance.
It's a lot of work to do a limited multiop from a portable location and
adding high power just makes it worse. If it's a money thing having to send
out more plaques, hell I'll pay for more than we do now just to get more
activity.

While on the subject of activity, FT8. FT8 is great to work someone that is
500 miles away that is just below your capability to work but just to sit
on 144.174 or 50.313 and work the next grid over is just plain CRAZY!!! Do
you ever see the MS guys just sit on MSK144 and work the next grid, NO !!!
It's a tool and they use it like it should be. Do I operate FT8 more than I
should, heck yes because i'm a contester and the object of a contest is to
score the most contacts and grids and if it takes FT8, FM, cell phone,
FEDEX or UPS I'll do it but it's hurting the upper bands by limiting the
ability to move people. I think the biggest draw to FT8 is the folks with
limited antennas or no antennas have found that they can make contacts by
using FT8. Or the HF'ers that have a radio with 6m but load it up on their
tri-bander and the only way they can be heard is using FT8. I don't have an
answer for that but IMHO it's hurting VHF contesting more than it's
helping. Moving people to other bands is harder and I think rovers are most
affected by that and as a rover, it won't take muck of that to turn Andy
and  I off from roving. Spending two LONG days driving hundreds of miles
isn't worth it if everyone is stuck on FT8

Last is the rover scoring. I understand there was a loop hole and someone
exploited it to pad their clubs score. The knee jerk reaction was to hurt
the rovers which was WRONG then and it's still WRONG now!!! Each time a
rover goes to a new grid, they should start their long over and at the end,
it all adds up. This gives incentive to activate more grids. To get around
the club loop hole is easy, rovers can't use their logs to help their club
score. But if you think about it, they already have helped their club just
by making more contacts for their members. Rovers should compete against
themselves and whatever scoring scheme is used should promote activity not
diminish it!!

Thanks to everyone that was on this past weekend for the contest. K8GP
(K1RA and I) were operating from my new location in FM09 @2300 ASL with
very limited antennas. I hope to have the big K8GP multi-multi going again
soon from the new location.

Sorry about the long rant but I feel much better now !!!

Terry Price - W8ZN
Directive Systems and Engineering
703-754-3876