VHFcontesting

Re: [VHFcontesting] ARRL VHF Test 3 Band Category - long rant better del

To: "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <VHFcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] ARRL VHF Test 3 Band Category - long rant better delete!!
From: Jay RM <w9rm@calmesapartners.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2021 15:26:05 -0700
Re: Distance based scoring - how's this going to work when guys are
routinely using EME to pad their mults on 2 and 432 ??  Are we talking
about sending EME Qs in VHF contests back to where they belong  - in EME
contests ??

I could throw my support behind multi-mode Qs with various point values,
but I think a BETTER way would be to make ONE of the ARRL VHF contests
digital free.  June would be the obvious choice, as the proliferation of Es
QSOs on 6 (and maybe 2) would offset the obvious advantage WSJT modes have
under weak signal conditions and possibly entice those digi-only ops over
to traditional modes when they hear the overwhelming phone activity a June
contest used to develop.  On the other hand, it's highly unlikely that the
all-digital crowd would bother to make Qs on SSB, even for extra points.
It appears to me that they are mostly non-contesters.

I would miss the challenge and mult production of digital meteor scatter in
June if it was all-analog, but..it's June and we're going to work most of
those 6m Qs on Es, anyway.

Heck - make January and September digital-only.  They pretty much default
to that now.

-W9RM

Keith J Morehouse
Managing Partner