VHFcontesting

Re: [VHFcontesting] FT8?- tarnation!

To: chetsubaccount@snet.net
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] FT8?- tarnation!
From: Douglas Dever <dougdever@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2021 17:41:24 -0500
Nope, I think you're doing it right.  When both bands were running I was
busy with all the things you mentioned - and the same concerns.  When when
I was off on FM or SSB trying to scrounge up some local contacts, it was
nice to have it listening on 6m in case a grid I didn't have popped up or
evidence of a band opening (which never occurred in Northern Ohio) on 6.
The reality is, regardless of what the curmudgeons say, anything that
you're doing to get contacts in the log book isn't doing it wrong.  And if
there's a bunch of people on digital, you have to adapt and make it part of
your strategy.  I think FT8 is a terrible mode for contesting - the rate
sucks - but if it's the only way to make the contact, then so be it.  If
there's stations on phone or CW, all the better.