VHFcontesting

Re: [VHFcontesting] Is FT8 Really the Problem with VHF Contests?

To: "Josef 'Jeff' Sipek" <jeffpc@josefsipek.net>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Is FT8 Really the Problem with VHF Contests?
From: Dave <kdcarlso@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2022 14:18:54 -0400
Jeff, it is true that it is costly but in general it has gotten less
expensive. I was licensed in 1981+/- when I was in Jr. High and most if not
all of the new HF rigs didn't even cover 6m. There were dedicated radios
for some of the bands, 6m, 2m, 1.25m, and 70cm but they were as much as an
HF rig. Many groups did transverter builds and that was cost effective but
some skill was required. Commercially, it was very expensive to get on a
band but people did as the activity level was much greater. I think I had
$1000 into just three bands by the time I graduated high school in 1985.
That's almost $3K in today's dollars.

Pretty much all of the HF designs today include 6m and a 9700 is really a
deal compared to the "old days." Three bands, satellite, and a digital mode
for $1400ish.. Q5 also has a 5 band transverter for $2K, which while an
investment is certainly an inexpensive way to hit the ground running.

I think there are larger issues with getting new blood into the weak signal
world. Lack of antennas might be the greatest problem. Less hams seem to be
putting up towers or even real antennas on the roof. I see comment after
comment about what the spouse will allow, or they are concerned about
the neighbors opinion. Even a dipole in the trees is often frowned upon.
Then there are the HOA's. For every 10 hams that might have an interest in
weak signal work I'd guess eight or nine contend with a HOA or spousal
resistance.

Dave
N2OA