VHFcontesting

Re: [VHFcontesting] Ionosphere Scatter

To: PAUL ROLLINSON <paulrollinson@sbcglobal.net>, N1BUG <paul@n1bug.com>, VHF Contesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Ionosphere Scatter
From: Sean Waite <waisean@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2016 17:59:04 +0000
WSJT has ISCAT and JT6M that can be used on the mode. It doesn't look like
they are in WSJT-X yet.

I'm assuming with sufficient power and gain the answer is "whatever mode
you want."

I'll have to read that fairly sizable document when I'm off work.

It doesn't seem like it's a mode that can be done with any reasonable
equipment that a rover might carry, which is unfortunate. At best we'd have
a 4el super moxon and 100W on 6. Some friends and I are considering in the
next year or three to start getting out occasionally for grid expeditions
to some of the rarer grids in Maine, New Hampshire and Massachusetts (FN45,
FN56, FN67, FN51 and that area). In addition to trying to get more contacts
on our contest roves, being able to get any sort of propagation when on the
wrong side of Maine will be the key to success on those trips. If we can
hit ionosphere scatter or tropo scatter with 100W and 5el on 6 then those
will be an option.

I have to assume that ISCAT is similar to FSK441 and MSK144 for meteor
scatter, just tweaked to handle the idiosyncrasies of the method of
propagation.

The reading I've done where it proves interesting during the daytime is
what drew my attention. Without Es we're fairly limited in range on the VHF
bands and MS and EME aren't usually an option when the sun is shining. It
may even be that once some of the bigger VHF stations start looking around
on these modes - maybe during the quieter hours of contests - that those of
us roving will be able to work them with much more modest stations. Likely
though, as the modes are pretty slow the bigger stations won't have the
slow down that the little guys do and it won't be interesting for them.

Sean WA1TE

It seems like this is fairly new territory for a lot of people