VHFcontesting

[VHFcontesting] db6nt transverters with low-level IF

To: Microwave <microwave@lists.valinet.com>, "(Radio) VHF Contesting" <VHFcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] db6nt transverters with low-level IF
From: "John D'Ausilio" <jdausilio@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2011 11:36:38 -0500
Having successfully tested my 24GHz station yesterday at the MUD
meeting (Thanks Mike and Fred!), I'm now looking at ways to avoid
blowing up the mixer diode. Some of the guys pointed out that using
the Elecraft XV144 as the middle IF was dangerous, as it has one of
the 35W Mitsubishi modules on it and tends to spike when going into
TX. I can remove the module and bypass it, and probably get +10dBm or
so out of the driver stage. The DB6NT units are designed for +30dBm
input, and have an attenuator in the TX path for about -20dB. Seems
like this is an easy way to eliminate the spike and keep my diode
alive .. does anyone made this kind of mod to the db6nt transverter
(and maybe know what the required IF level for the mixer might be)?

de w1rt/john