VHFcontesting

Re: [VHFcontesting] [NEWSVHF] 222 Activity night

To: Peter Motyl <cs735171012@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] [NEWSVHF] 222 Activity night
From: Paul Bourque <pbourque@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2022 22:02:48 -0400
Last night was my first night participating in 222 Activity Night, and
first time ever on 222 SSB.  I concur with what you said Pete, as any
activity is good activity, and though I had one in the log (WZ1V), it was
great to be able to work another station.  Not DX by any stretch (27.8 km),
but it was my first 222 SSB contact.  I had emailed Ron earlier to tell him
that I'd gotten the transverter set up and to listen for me.  We have a
good path, and I worked him during the 432 Spring Sprint from the same
location.

Last night was also a learning experience, as Ron told me that my signal
was drifting, and I hadn't realized that I should have let the transverter
warm up a bit- lesson learned. Ron had told me that he worked K1PXE, so
after I finished the QSO with him, I turned Southwest and called CQ for a
bit and listened around for Pete, but didn't hear him.  A bit later, some
CW came in strong and faded fast.  Not a CW op, I wasn't able to copy who
it was.

Hearing that Ron and Pete weren't experiencing great conditions didn't make
me feel so bad only working one station.  I'll make an effort to be on the
air for Tuesday nights again for sure.  If anything, it was a good test for
the 222 setup for June VHF and 222 and Up contests.

73,
Paul N1SFE FN31rn