VHFcontesting

Re: [VHFcontesting] Sprint

To: "beamar" <beamar@aol.com>, "FLWSS" <flwss@flwss.net>, <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Sprint
From: "Dave Olean" <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2014 10:36:23 -0400
Hi Buddy,
Using the calling frequency is always some sort of a problem and it never fails
that somebody will get upset. The farther away from any activity center you
get, the advantages of using the calling frequency get bigger.  In the NYC
area, it would be nuts to run on the calling frequency as QRM gets really bad
in a hurry, but all those guys in the outlying areas are there so the use is so
very tempting to use .200 from NYC for example. This time, I moved 5 khz down
from 144.200 and stayed there almost all night. I think it worked pretty well.
In the past I have been 20 kHz away and seemed to have more trouble working
larger #s of stations.
    I think a good method would be for stations away from activity centers to
alternate between the calling frequency and some fixed frequency nearby. Don't
forget to announce the frequency when you work someone on the calling
frequency. Spreading out is a good thing, but hard to do when signals are very
weak or fleeting. I found QSB peaks to be very pronounced last night. Some
stations were there for 20 seconds and then gone for good! I think much Sprint
activity is now being coordinated on the chat pages. That could help in finding
some distant and weak stations. My shack is so remote, I have no internet. My
tuning knob gets a lot of use.
    I found a few new stations on the air which is very encouraging. I was
surprised at the activity. I wish I could have stayed on longer, but the rain
was  starting by 9:30, and I could not wait and negotiate the hill and snow and
mud in a driving rain.

Dave K1WHS