VHFcontesting

Re: [VHFcontesting] Solving FT8

To: "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>, N2WM Walt <n2wm@centurylink.net>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Solving FT8
From: Gregory Winters <greg_winters@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2021 21:23:07 +0000
I do not support eliminating FT8 or moving to an all digital contest. Its not a
problem to solve--because it is NOT a problem. What is happening is what was
always going to happen. There will be new kings and new compeititors over time,
and by rights there should be.

We must be careful, since the slippery slope won't end to make everyone happy.

* Should we yearn for the days before SSB and FM and want an AM-only phone
contest because SSB has an 'unfair advantage'?

* Should we encourage CW by making CW-only contests, or categories like HF
contests?

* Should we eliminate a bunch of categories so only a handful of superstations
can win? (is it a real competition then?)

I'd suppose those were arguments held long ago. And like today, much of these
are borne out of frustration particularly given the time, money, and hassle
involved. I get worked up over NILs and my wife asks 'what my prize money was'
for this contest. Oh, yes I'm sympathetic to it to a point. But as radio
evolves we make choices. One can still have the best tube rig 6m AM station
ever. But its only self-serving to want to limit the contest to 6m AM tube
rigs, and darn the synthesized VFOs.

Examine why people use FT8 or any digital mode. Noise floors are rising, HOAs
compromise antennas on HF, and it decodes through signals where CW or phone
have no chance. It took off especially during lows on sunspots for HF. As a
result, I now chase where the operators are. Its not wrong to use it. Its a
tool like any other, and its not foolproof either. So many ops still do not run
Contest Mode during contests.

But we chase points and DX where it is, not where we argue it should be. That
is radio. Refusing to adapt doesn't make radio less fun. Lots of people operate
nothing but CW, and more power to them (pun intended). As a result they may not
win VHF contests perhaps (though there are HF CW contests). But even without
first place plaques and certificates that guy has fun anyways, gets on the air,
and thats what contesting is supposed to be about. That guy, then, is a true
winner.

Greg, K3RW
CN85ro