VHFcontesting

[VHFcontesting] Prpposal: change SOFM to allow more bands

To: "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Prpposal: change SOFM to allow more bands
From: Gregory Winters <greg_winters@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2021 22:36:31 +0000
While we are pondering proposed changes to SO3B, why not also consider updating
one of the most underutilized classes as well: SOFM.

I like idea of SOFM, but its typically limited to just the lowest 4 bands: 6,
2, 222, and 70cm.

Perhaps the SOFM was initially a good idea with those bands, but 6m in
particular gets very little play on FM. SOFM gets such little participation in
the contest overall, even a small score can win a division--and I say that
having done so (!).

But on 900MHz and 1296 there is considerable FM equipment in the amateur
community, as well as gunnplexers that never see voltage anymore. Can we change
that?

I propose either opening SOFM to all bands, or if that isn't palatable opening
it to a max of 4 bands (and the op chooses which 4). That way even 10 and 24GHz
gunn units and perhaps even FM-ATV units can be part of the fun?

I haven't formally proposed a change, but rather wanted to facilitate the idea
to see if there is any support.

73 de Greg, K3RW