VHFcontesting

[VHFcontesting] loops

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] loops
From: kg4qdz@arrl.net (KG4QDZ)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:53 2003
Greetings all, and thanks for all the previous advice! I'm not always able
to thanks everyone who responds personally, but it is appreciated.

I have a new question for those who know/have loop antennas. I have a single
loop on 6, and I just recently moved it from about 20ft high to about 30ft
high. I believe 30 ft is where the best patterns appear with yagi analysis
on 6, and M2 specs it there too (don't quote me). Anyway, DX-wise, after a
day, I think it might be a little worse there, or at least even.  But,
that's just a side observation so far.... This brings me to the question
below.

According to M2, if you stack these loops, you get 4 or 5 dB gain and the
main lobe of the pattern drops from about a 25 deg angle to something like
15 deg (I don't have it with me right now but this is close). For 6m, does
the lower takeoff angle make for better DX on these summer days or not? I
would assume it would be better for local work, right?

I also talked to one station that said he would raise and lower his 10m beam
to adjust the takeoff angle for various distance bounces. 6m is also
sensitive to height vs vertical angle that way - is there any benefit to
changing height to alter the main lobe angle for DX (something motorized
perhaps)?

Any ideas or experience with this? Reply to kg4qdz@arrl.net if not to the
list.

Thanks and 73,