VHFcontesting

Re: [VHFcontesting] Tech Help needed

To: peter h <n6ze@aol.com>, "Paulrollinson@sbcglobal.net" <Paulrollinson@sbcglobal.net>, "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Tech Help needed
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 2021 11:42:26 -0500
I think the problem is that the Q of the antenna is so high that the elements cannot supply a reasonable reactance at the FT-8 frequency for the matching section to work with. The solution is to try to tweak the driven element or maybe director #1 to raise frequency a bit.  After all, if the elements are not resonant, then no amount of adjustment of the T match or any other type of matching system, will have any effect. I have not played with a 6M7, but do note that director #1 is quite important in coupling into a resonant set of elements.  As you get farther away from the driven element, the element dimensions are less important.One way to try a change is to drill and tap the element end so that you can add more metal if trimming the element shorter does not give you what you want. A small machine screw can add element length.

Dave K1WHS

On 1/2/2021 9:48 AM, peter h via VHFcontesting wrote:
0645 pst 02jan2021
Perhaps contacting M2 directly, with a cc to K6MYC might provide the needed
info.
bt73Pete, N6ZE in DM04ne with an older 6M7 also