WriteLog

[WriteLog] Further explanation of Insert Key

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Further explanation of Insert Key
From: dhill@cprk.com (Hill, Don)
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 15:27:28 -0600
The Insert key works in conjunction with ONLY highlighted calls in the
RTTYrite window.  You cannot type in a call manually and hit Insert.
You can, but the call you typed in most likely will not be sent.  Instead
the last callsign highlighted will be sent. If you type in a call
manually, you must hit your exchange key to send out the exchange.

The Insert key works with two actions.  One is a highlighted callsign
that appears after DE.  The other is a highlighted call that does NOT
appear after DE.  If the callsign is in the Super Check Partial file
that you are using (either master.dta or rtty.dta), then that callsign
will highlight any time it shows up in the RTTYrite window.  It can have
characters attached to the front or back and it will still highlight.

Example:  QWERTAA5AURNVUEEEEE

AA5AU will highlight because it is in the .dta file you have selected
for Super Check Partial.

However, let's suppose this comes across your screen:

DE AA5AUKRVBUA

The entire AA5AUKRVBUA will be highlighted.

If the highlighted callsign is incorrect and you know it, then the callsign
must be manually typed into the Entry Window and the exchange
key (F3 in most cases) pressed to send the exchange.

Here's a situation you might run into.

Example:

DJ7AA DE W1XYZ W1XYZ W1XYZ K

This example was given in an earlier post and the Wil noted that only
W1XY was highlighted which may be true for the 2nd and 3rd W1XYZ
calls on the screen for reasons I'll explain later in this paragraph.  The
W1XYZ immediately following the DE should have been entirely highlighted.
I noticed this weekend that version 10.14e works correctly in this manner.
However, it is possible that on the 2nd and 3rd W1XYZ, that only W1XY
was highlighted.    The reason for this is that the call W1XY is in
the Super Check Partial file (either rtty.dta or master.dta usually located
c:\ham\programs subdirectory) and W1XYZ is not.

As in my earlier post I noted that the last call highlighted
(unless one is a mult and one is not) will be the one grabbed and sent
when the Insert key is hit.  Therefore if you hit the Insert key on the
above
example, you will be sending the incorrect call of W1XY.

In this case, you cannot hit the Insert key.  You must click the first
W1XYZ after the DE.

Here is where it is most desirable to have F3 as your exchange key.  You
can either just hit F3 to send the exchange OR with the mouse cursor
in the RTTYrite screen, right click the mouse and click on the first option
which is "Send F3".

OK, confused yet?  Here's another example.  You call CQ.  A station
answers you and does not send DE in front of his call like this:

VP2V/W8JAY VP2V/W8JAY K

Let's suppose W8JAY is in the master.dta or rtty.dta file but VP2V/W8JAY
is not So now only W8JAY is highlighted.  You cannot hit Insert.  If you do,
only W8JAY will be put into the Entry Window and sent in the exchange.

You have three options.  Manually type in the call (takes too long) and then
hit F3 OR click on the call W8JAY to put it in the Entry Window, then
manually add VP2V/ in front (takes too long) OR do what you should do,
click on the V at the start of the callsign and it will put the entire
call VP2V/W8JAY into the Entry field.  You can then hit F3 or right click
on the mouse in the RTTYrite window and click the F3 option there.

Someone asked if you can turn this feature off.  You can turn off the
feature
that allows a callsign that is in the master.dta or rtty.dta to highlight
without the DE in front.  All you have to do is not activate Super Check
Partial which is defeating the purpose of this extraordinary feature.

I know all this is a bit confusing.  But I believe that everything is
working
correctly with WriteLog & the Insert Key.  I guess after you seen all these
highlighted calls several thousand times you get to understand what is
going on.  It's really not that complicated and once you understand how
WriteLog works with the Super Check Partial files, it'll be easy to see.

Yes, Jay WS7I, is correct, the .dta files need to be updated.  I wish there
was a way they could be edited by us users.  There probably is a way.
Jay or Dick, N1RCT, can you explain how we can create or edit our .dta
files?

I hope this helps clear up misunderstandings about the Insert key.

73, Don AA5AU