WriteLog

Re: [WriteLog] Hard Drive Failure

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Hard Drive Failure
From: K4SB <k4sb@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 15:17:58 +0000
> --- Robert McGwier <rwmcgwier@comcast.net> wrote:
> > Life is too short and I can afford a full raid disk, and excellent
> > back up, and a high quality UPS much more readily than I can afford
> > to lose exactly 1/10 of my life's work.

This is indeed unfortunate. Bob's initial post led me to believe that
his electronics on the HD had failed.

All of the suggestions made have great merit, but I would like to
mention one other thing.

IF the failure is in the electronics board of the HD, try to find an
exact duplicate of it.( and even if you can't, contact the
manufacturer and see if another model of their drives has the same
board ) Although you will void the warranty, remove the board from the
new drive and put it on the old. Then get the data off!!!

It's then a simple matter again to transfer boards.

73
Ed