WriteLog

Re: [WriteLog] Access Denied When Settng Up Radio Control

To: writelog@contesting.com, mwa@w0aa.org
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Access Denied When Settng Up Radio Control
From: Aldewey@aol.com
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2013 23:13:05 -0400 (EDT)
Thanks to all who provide suggestions for my COM Port issues.  I used  bits
and pieces of several of the suggestions to finally get things going.   The
suggestion to "Run as Administrator" and "Show Hidden Ports" helped me
clean  up all the unused COM ports and start fresh.

The suggestion to try CAT control on a different Converter was also
useful.  I am not sure of the manufacturer of the three I have.  One  shows up
in
Device Manager as an ATEN and the other two as Prolific.  When  I moved the
CAT control to the ATEN converter, it started working.  Using  EXTFSK, I was
able to get the RTTY FSK/PTT to work (or so I thought) on one of  the
Prolific converters.  However, after sending a few messages, RTTYRITE  in
Writelog would crash.  No matter what I did, it would run a couple times  and
crash.
My friends laptop had WL Version 10.88B.  I am not a Writelog owner so  I
was not able to update it to the latest version without a registration  code.

With no other options for WL that I could think of, I decided to load up
N1MM on his laptop and try that.  Within 10 minutes, everything was working
fine with all three USB to Serial Converters.  As I final check, I listened
to the diddling signal on my second radio.  It sounded right but was
printing garbage.  It turns out I had accidentally checked the "Invert" box  on
the EXTFSK setup screen.  Once I unchecked that, all worked well.

Thanks again, all.

73,

AL, K0AD

In a message dated 9/21/2013 10:31:29 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
Aldewey@aol.com writes:

I am  tearing my hair out trying to get CAT control to work on Writelog
with
my  USB to Serial Converter.

I am setting up a Windows 7 laptop for a  friend. I have a USB Port
Expander
plugged into one of the USB ports on  the laptop.  I have 3 USB to Serial
Converters plugged into the  expander.
The come up as COM 5, 6, and 7.

I am trying to set  them up as follows:

RTTY FSK / PTT - COM 5
Radio CAT Control - COM  6
CW Keying - COM 7

The RTTY and CW Keying ports work fine.  I  am actually using EXTFSK  for
COM 5 but that all seems to be  working.

However, whenever I try to setup COM 6 for CAT Control in the  Ports Setup
in Writelog, I get Access Denied.

I've gone into  admin mode, revealed all my hidden COM ports, deleted
them,
and  started over fresh several times adding the USB converters one at a
time.  Again, the RTTY and CW keying work but I always get Access  Denied
when
I try to set up the COM 6 to for CAT Control.

Is  there something I am missing?  Do I need to enable something in
Writelog.INI?

Lots of hours in this. Any suggestions  welcome.

73,

AL,  K0AD