WriteLog

[WriteLog] Pay for XP twice...

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Pay for XP twice...
From: n1jm@arrl.net (John L Merrill)
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 18:42:49 -0500
That's the way it is with XP.

-----Original Message-----
From: writelog-admin@contesting.com
[mailto:writelog-admin@contesting.com]On Behalf Of Wayne
Sent: Monday, February 11, 2002 5:54 PM
To: writelog@contesting.com

  I don't know about you guys, but I don't like the idea of paying
twice for Windows XP.
  I purchased my copy on a CD for a little over $100, just like I did
for the past windows upgrades.  Went from 95, 98, 2000, then XP.
  All my other upgrades permitted me to put them on my two computers.
  This upgrade to XP had to be registered, so I did.
  This weekend I tried to install it on my 2nd PC and it wouldn't
install without my phoning Microsoft for them to change the code.
The lady told me that I had to pay for each computer installation.
(I didn't ask about reinstalling it on the SAME computer).  I asked
what would that cost?  I thought I would pay it if it was maybe $10
or so.  But she said she didn't know and that I could phone ????? and
ask them about it.  So she offered to give me the 800 number, or to
call it for me.  So I said go ahead and dial it.  I talked with some
guy and he asked me what I had paid for the first copy.  I told him
it was a little over $100.  He said I would have to pay it AGAIN for
the 2nd computer, that the original copy was to only be used on ONE
computer.  I said I wouldn't pay for it again, and then hung up.
  Are you others having the SAME problem?  If so, what do you think
about it?
Wayne from Maine, KC1YF