Yaesu

[Yaesu] Receiver Front End Saver Question

To: "a Yaesu E-Group" <yaesu@contesting.com>,"a 160 QTH e-List" <160m@mailman.qth.net>,"a FT-1000MP eGroup" <FT-1000MP@yahoogroups.com>,"a 1000MP QTH e-List" <1000mp@mailman.qth.net>
Subject: [Yaesu] Receiver Front End Saver Question
From: "Thomas Giella KN4LF" <kn4lf@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 12:06:19 -0500
I have the Mark V Field. I have been using a homebrewed 2 foot diameter
unshielded indoor box loop for receiving and have never had a problem with RF
getting back into the receiver to damage the front end, even though the
transmit antenna is very close by.

But now I have purchased the 8 foot diameter outdoor 160 meter coaxial magnetic
loop antenna made by KC2TX for receiving plus the KD9SV 160 meter preamplifier.
I'm on 1/4 acreville and the loop will be mounted on a push up pole at 25 feet
and unfortunately within 100 feet of the 160 meter inverted L transmitting up
to 1000 watts PEP. I now wonder if I'm increasing the danger of damaging the
front end of the V Field and should I put a front end saver device in line like
the one KD9SV also makes?!

It seems that somewhere on an email reflector this issue has been discussed in
the distant past and I seem to remember some saying yes use a front end saver
and others say no the auto switching circuitry in the Mark V will handle the
potential incoming RF. Any comments/personal experiences would be much
appreciated.

73,
Thomas F. Giella, KN4LF
Retired Space & Atmospheric Weather Forecaster
Plant City, FL, USA
Grid Square EL87WX
Lat & Long 27 58 33.6397 N 82 09 52.4052 W
kn4lf@arrl.net

PropNET Beacon Program: http://www.propnet.org
KN4LF Daily Solar Space Weather & Geomagnetic Data Archive:
http://www.kn4lf.com/kn4lf5.htm
KN4LF HF/MF Frequency Radio Propagation Theory Notes:
http://www.kn4lf.com/kn4lf8.htm
KN4LF Amateur & SWL Radio History: http://www.kn4lf.com/index.htm

---