Yaesu

[Yaesu] FT-1000MP First Impressions on 160

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] FT-1000MP First Impressions on 160
From: btippett@CTC.Net (Bill Tippett)
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 1997 20:34:07 -0500 (EST)
At 16:08 3/16/97 -0800, you wrote:

>Performance gets noticeably better when you add the additional filters.

They should arrive tomorrow...looking forward to trying them.  As you
know, signals are very strong on 160 and I have yet to hear an IMD
product with the 500 Hz filters!

>No fix available, but your ears quickly get used to the MONI tone.  Two
>alternatives:

How come this is a problem?  The manual says the spot tone is derived
from the actual carrier, yet the SPOT tone is noticeably more distorted
than the tone through MONI...strange.

>You are not going deaf, mine sounds the same.  Most people never
>notice it.  The left headphone definitely gets a little more volume
>than the right.  Choosing Stereo 1, Stereo 2, or Mono makes no
>difference if you are using stereo headphones.  It may be difficult
>for us to convince Yaesu that this problem is worth fixing.  But it
>IS a problem.

At this point it is just an annoyance.  Guess I can go to MONO audio
if I want to get rid of it.

>Lettering upside down is correct choice.  That is, the lettering
>orientation should match the orientation on the big SubRx board.

I've already installed it so I can't see the lettering underneath
it, hi.  Lettering is upside down relative to the top/bottom of
the radio.  Lettering is opposite to the other sub filter (2.4?).

>Does your S-meter jump to full scale when you select 500 Hz?
>Sometimes this problem can be fixed by reversing one or more
>filters, but not always.

No, I've never seen that.  Of course I only have the dual 2.4's
and 500's at present.

Here's another problem I noticed.  The manual says that the tuned
preamp is for 1.8-7.3, so I set "Tuned" in menu 8-4, thinking this
would optimize 160 operation (my main interest).  I expected this
preamp to be better than the "Flat" (.1-30 MHz) preamp.  After
listening on 160, I notice the Flat position is stronger than tuned.
Also, IPO does not reduce sensitivity of the "tuned" preamp, yet
it does so for the "flat" position.  In fact "tuned"/IPO off sounds
EXACTLY like "flat"/IPO on.  This makes me think that the
"tuned" position is, in fact, not being used and is just the same
as IPO (i.e. all preamps bypassed as shown in the schematic).  Have
you noticed this or do you have any thoughts?  I've now set 8-4 back
to "flat" but something must be wrong here somewhere.

                                        73,  Bill

--
FAQ on WWW:               http://www.primenet.com/~ke7gh/yaesu.html