Yaesu

[Yaesu] FT-847 Signal Problems

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] FT-847 Signal Problems
From: rayd@en.com (Ray Dabkowski)
Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 08:23:41 -0400
I need help diagnosing a signal problem with my new FT-847.  I had been
getting reports of hum mixed in the CW note.  Now, I'm getting reports of
gurgling audio on SSB.  Apparently, it's getting worse with time.  Several
have reported that it doesn't sound like AC hum.  Here's what I've tried:

1) replaced the power supply (bought a new Astron 35M at Dayton).  Problem
still there.  Damn!

2) switching antennas (and coax lead-in) makes no difference.  This seems
to rule out RF getting into the rig.

3) lowered RF output power from 100W to about 20W with no change in signal
degradation.  This confirms #2 above, I think.

4) changed orientation and position of all cables

Unfortunately, I don't have a scope.  I guess maybe the next step would be
to observe the signal into a dummy load.  Someone suggested that one of
output transistors may be smoked.  Any ideas?  Send it back to Yaesu?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
73, Ray W8RD (rayd@en.com)