Yaesu

[Yaesu] VX-1R

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] VX-1R
From: jcwren@atlanta.com (John "Chris" Wren)
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 13:17:40 GMT
        Totally satisified user?  No.  Reasonably satisfied?  Yes.
Worth what I paid for it?  Pretty much.  Buy one again?  Most likely.

        The problem, it seems to me, is that these radio manufacturers
don't ask users what they want.  Everything wrong with the VX-1R is
software.  Everything wrong with my old TM-741A was software.  My
FT-890/AT has some things I would have done differently in hardware to
facilitate better software support, but it doesn't seem to have any
real software problems.

        I've never seen a post from Kenwood, Yaesu, Icom, or anyone
else on the net saying: "We're building a new handheld.  What would
*you* like to see in it?  How would you justify the cost of the
feature, and how truly usable is that feature?  Does it make sense in
the market position for this radio?".

        They just seem to go off in a corner and build it, then slap
that stupid Yaesu "Lookeee here, Billy Bob, Yaesus done it again!" ad
copy over it.

        Not that I don't like a lot of what they or any of the other
manufactureres produce.  It's just that it's only a few degrees off
from being damn near perfect.  And off just enough to cause untold
amounts of net traffic of people griping about it (case in point here,
eh?)

        - Chris, KD4DTS

---
John "Chris" Wren, KD4DTS
jcwren@atlanta.com
770-945-8288 (H)
770-840-9200 x2417 (W)

By US Code Title 47, Sec.227(a)(2)(B), a computer/modem/printer
meets the definition of a telephone fax machine. By Sec.227(b)
(1)(C), it is unlawful to send any unsolicited advertisement to
such equipment, punishable by action to recover actual monetary
loss, or $500, whichever is greater, for EACH violation.