Yaesu

[Yaesu] Yaesu FT-8100 Mute Function

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] Yaesu FT-8100 Mute Function
From: dts@senie.com (Daniel Senie)
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 1997 12:11:20 -0500
I own 3 FT-8100 radios. Two of the three mute audio completely when the
mute or TX mute functions are employed. The third radio lowers audio by
about 3dB when the mute is used.

I prefer the total mute function to the audio reduction, and find the
audio reduction such a little difference as to be unworkable. This is
especially true for TX muting (muting the sub-band when transmitting on
the other).

Looking at the schematic, it would appear a resistor divider setup is
used to control this function in conjunction with pulling one side to
ground when mute functions are applied. I am curious if the values of
these resistors have been altered in some production runs of the radio.

Clearly there's been some change, as the radios behave differently.

Please let me know if you've got an 8100 that behaves one way or the
other. I'm not sure which Yaesu intended be the proper behaviour.

Dan N1JEB